Re: Octave-Forge changes for 4.0 release

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge changes for 4.0 release
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:05:44 -0800 (PST)

Avinoam Kalma wrote
> Hi,
>
>> On 02/13/2015 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:52:15PM +0000, Carnë Draug wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> the ismatrix function in Octave will change for the new version 4.0.
>>> Currently, this function returns true if it is a numeric, logical, or
>>> character array with any number of dimensions.  The new version will
>>> return true if the object has two dimensions even if it is a cell or
>>> struct array.
>>>
>>>     WARNING: ismatrix() will return true for a struct and false for
>>>             ND numeric arrays.
>>>
>>> I quickly grepped Octave Forge for ismatrix and it is used in most of
>>> the
>>> packages.  Would be nice if this is fixed in the packages
>
>> Done for optim and parallel,
>
>>> and there were
>>> new released of them before Octave 4.0.
>
>> but no new releases yet. Is now already a good time to finally check
>> packages for Octave 4.0 compatibility? Or should we take the time when
>> Octaves test tarballs are out?
>
>> You are better off to wait until the 4.0 test tarballs arrive.  I can't
> say, but there > might be further changes.
>
>> --Rik
>
> Is it possible to build a directory for Octave 4.0 packages, and change
> accordingly
> the urls in get_forge_pkg.m? It will enable testing the packages with the
> dev version, and fixing them if needed.

I have fixed versions of image (configure), dicom (octave_map),
communications (OCTAVE_ALLOCATOR) and io (int sizes for 64-bit IDX) that
install and (AFAICS) run fine in Windows, and I'm underway again with
linear-algebra (I just made a new L-A 2.2.1 release but another one is due
because of the ismatrix() changes). IIRC I also fixed data-smoothing but ATM
I can't remember what the issue was. Anyway those packages needed just
simple fixes.
So, you might skip testing those packages.

Maybe / hopefully next week I'll have time to prepare changesets & post them
to the patch tracker.

Philip