pkg() in 4.0.0-rc1 breaks building of some packages

From: Olaf Till
Subject: pkg() in 4.0.0-rc1 breaks building of some packages
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 08:30:34 +0100

Thought I mention it here before making a regular bug report, since it
might be release-critical.

Private function configure_make() of pkg() now calls 'make' with the
'--jobs' option, enabling parallel builds. This should only be done in
cases in which certain design rules are followed in package
Makefiles. Currently it breaks at least building the parallel package:

I've  the following lazy, stupid, and inefficient rule in this
Makefile, which of course should be changed, but which is nevertheless
legal:

%.oct: %.cc
        @MKOCTFILE@ -s -v $< sock-stream.cc

This causes sock-stream.cc to be compiled to sock-stream.o for each
built oct-file. make --jobs .. builds the oct-files in parallel, so it
happens that one job is just about to (over-)write sock-stream.o when
another job uses it for linking, causing the linking to fail.

Before I supply a (trivial) patch, it should probably be decided
whether the --jobs option should be just removed or made an option of
pkg(), defaulting to non-parallel building.

Olaf