Re: Failing getpwuid test in 4.0.0-rc2

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Failing getpwuid test in 4.0.0-rc2
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:47:46 -0400

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:30:51 -0700, Rik wrote:
> Octave uses the value of the HOME environment variable as the preferred
> expansion for '~' rather than the directory listed in the passwd file for
> the current user ID.  This creates a mismatch because the BIST expects only
> the latter behavior.  We could change the BIST test to try HOME first and
> fall back to the passwd file.  Or we could say that this just doesn't
> happen often enough to fix.

Or we could unsetenv HOME, HOMEDRIVE, and HOMEPATH for the duration of
the BIST with an unwind_protect to restore them, similar to the test
of the tempname function? Hopefully safe?

It didn't seem worth fixing to me, but I know why the assert is
failing and I know that it's not really an error. May be best to make
it more robust just to reduce possible future confusion like it caused
here.

--
mike