Re: Fortran optimization flags

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Fortran optimization flags
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 16:03:20 -0400

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 15:19:42 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> The autoconf macros for Fortran compilers should be doing this for us, but I
> see we set FFLAGS to -O if it is not already set in the environment when
> configure runs.  That's probably the wrong thing to do.  Maybe we should
> just leave this choice up to the autoconf macro?

I always assumed this was done for a reason, maybe something finicky
with the Fortran libraries in liboctave/cruft, but actually now that I
think about it we override these flags in the Debian build. I agree,
we should not set FFLAGS and let autoconf set the defaults.

> On 06/03/2015 01:44 PM, Rik wrote:
>> On 05/08/2015 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>>> Also the gcc and g++ calls contain the -g flag in order to generate
>>> debug symbols, but it is not used in the Fortran call. About the
>>> performance for a normal user (not a developer), has -g any impact?
>>

>> Someone else will need to speak to this.
>

> I think the only cost is extra disk space.  Using -g should not affect code
> generation.

Agree, should only take up space in the resulting files. FTR, users
can use the "make install-strip" target if they want to install
without debug symbols after compiling with -g to save space. And most
distros will strip binaries when building binary packages, I think
mxe-octave does by default also.

--
mike