Re: Only mailing list mail visible

From: John W. Eaton
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:57:19 -0400

On 06/11/2015 09:22 AM, JuanPi wrote:
Hi all,

Is it possible to configure the mailing list to show only the mailing
list mail and not also the sender?

Yes, it is possible, but I'm not sure it's the best solution. It's definitely not the way most lists are configured. Could anyone here who has used a list that is configured this way comment on how well it works?

When one gives support for people in the mailing list, they tend to
answer directly, specially new users. There is nothing in place
encouraging other behavior. If they couldn't see the mail of the
person answering their request but only the mailing list, then we
would save some energy.
Is this possible?

Is it difficult to reply with a short "please use the mailing list" message and quote their message back to them so they can send it to the list if they choose?

I think I understand why you are asking for this change, but I also like having the option of easily replying privately.

Maybe we should just change the help list and see how that works? I'm not sure that it's needed as much for the maintainers list.