Re: IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: IEEE standard for interval arithmetic approved
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 07:03:42 +0200

On 12.06.2015 23:35, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 6/12/2015 10:01 PM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
The mercurial export for the interval package is missing several files:
- COPYING and NEWS (generated from TexInfo sources)

I forgot to mention CITATION, which should also be on that list.

COPYING is a "hard" requirement from "pkg build .."

- png, pdf and eps versions of images for the included manual (generated
from various sources)
- generated unit tests for verification of the package (which, in this
particular field, is very important)

I have decided against putting those files under version control, which
means they are missing in your export.

If missing than they should be built during a "pkg build"

I could add a plaintext variant of COPYING and try to build the rest during pkg build, but that would be very problematic for the user who installs with “pkg -forge”, because a lot of dependencies would be required (where the simplest would be makeinfo and texutils and the hardest would be downloading some python scripts). That's why these files are generated from a Makefile, which is executed by the package's maintainer.

Everybody can get a working copy of the repository, install the dependencies described in the Makefile, and run make “dist” to produce a tarball including all files. This is the simplest solution that I can offer, if you want to pull changes from the repo and bundle a package.

I would highly prefer if only the official release tarball is used for
further redistribution. Otherwise you would label something as version
0.2.1, which it is actually not.

I would call 0.2.1r590 (as package)

ok

If this is not an option for you, we should resolve any of the bad
consequences described above.

waiting your next release

Since there are several files missing from the mercurial repo, we should resolve how you are going to deal with that. 1. (preferred) You use official release tarballs of interval for redistribution. It is unlikely that a build error like #45280 is going to happen any time soon. Since (currently) this particular package is also actively maintained and producing regular releases you will never be far behind. 2. You pull from the repository, run “make dist” and use the tarball for snapshot builds.
3. Put generated files under version control. I do not want that.
4. Set up a separate mercurial repository that also contains the generated files. Since I already use a build server for checking any commits before I push them to SourceForge, I could easily automate keeping that branch synced. However, this kind of solution is likely going to be a burden in the future. Especially if more people would want to contribute in development.
5. Any other ideas?