Re: Using C++ exceptions instead of error_state

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Using C++ exceptions instead of error_state
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 07:16:45 +0000

On 23 Sep 2015, at 17:20, Michael Godfrey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 02:47 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> I've revisited this change and updated my patch so that it applies to the
>> current sources.  I'm attaching the new version to this message.
>>
>> To summarize, the idea is to change the error function to throw an exception
>> so that we can eliminate the use of the global error_state variable over
>> time (likely a very long time).
>>
>> Is there any objection to going ahead with this change?
>>
>> jwe
> Seems to me a very good plan. I vote to apply the change.
> Michael

Seems like a very good idea to me to.
I would just suggest revising this manual page as well pith the patch:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Exception-and-Error-Handling-in-Oct_002dFiles.html#Exception-and-Error-Handling-in-Oct_002dFiles
So at least we don't get any new code that uses error_state.

c.