Re: Proposal for new Octave website

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Proposal for new Octave website
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 11:35:00 -0500

On Mon, 2015-11-09 at 14:44 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
> If there were a way to make this publicly editable, we wouldn't
> really be having the Forge discussion, somebody would just go and do
> it. That is the big strength of the wiki model

The Octave web pages cannot be a wiki. There are certain things there
that should only be editable by project admins, such as for example
donation information and commercial support options. Furthermore, we
need to have a presentation that is consistent with the aims of the
GNU project, such as using precise language that indicates what Octave
is. This cannot be trusted to any enthusiast.

I am also thinking that perhaps it was a bad idea to have things like
part of the Octave FAQ in the wiki, at least the part about the GPL,
as those were answers that were drafted in consultation with FSF
lawyers. They should not be changed.

There is one technical complication: we host the Octave web pages on
the GNU infrastructure, which does not allow us to run dynamic web
pages.

> If it is Git tech

As long as jwe and I have a say in the matter, there will be no git in
Octave's core infrastructure. ;-)

- Jordi G. H.