Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 19:04:36 -0500

On 12/26/2015 08:09 AM, John Donoghue wrote:
On 12/25/2015 06:18 PM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
On 26.12.2015 00:11, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
I always install via the zip file version and don't run into any admin
issues with packages. Can anyone comment if this is always the case, or
only for certain packages? Same problem with the pkg install or pkg
update commands?
This is because you installed Octave in C:\Octave\… and I did install it
(with higher privileges) in %ProgramFiles%.  Later, when running it
again, I do not have permission to unzip / install packages in
%ProgramFiles%

Having it install the default when the program is installed would
(should) be easier as it should occur with the same access level used to
run the Octave installer.
Yes, this would eliminate a lot of pitfalls.

Would this happen by opening an instance of Octave set to run the build
packages script and exit? Can they be "built" before building the
installer so they're already installed?
As far as I understand, the packages are cross-compiled, but
build_packages.m does not consider this possibility and does a “classic”
installation. It would suffice to extract the tarballs, put the files
into the right directories and update the global package database. This
should be possible to do with the installer and not run an Octave script
during installation.

build_packages.m does do the classic install command, however should not
be recompiling the packages if they were built already compiled.
In fact the makefile etc in the source directory is removed as part of
the mxe-octave cross build of the packages.

I have a script that is very close to ready for installing cross built
packages when building the mxe installer, but it fails on a couple of
the current packages and needs to be fixed to work for them.

I can provide the script if someone has more time than I do at the
moment and wants to work on it?

Yes, please post it, or just add what you have now to the mxe-octave archive and we can go from there. It would be great to cross-compile packages and have them distributed with binary distributions so that they are ready to install. It would be even better if we could make that happen for the 4.0.1 release.