Re: Long time for first plot on Windows

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Long time for first plot on Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:47:02 -0800

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Andreas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Am 13.01.2016 um 22:00 schrieb John Swensen:
>> I have a student who has started using Octave for some of our
>> simulations and ran into the problem of the first plot taking a long,
>> long time to show up described at
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2015-12/msg00159.html
>> and
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31882510/cannot-use-octave-4-0-0-graphics-toolkit-functions-under-windows-10
>> Apparently, plotting works fast and fine after the initial 2 minute wait
>> for the first plot to show up.
>
> Yes, it's a konwn issue: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45458
> Does your student see the delay only the first time he plots something
> or also after reboot? Can you check if he has installed a tool which
> automatically clears the TEMP directory on startup (for example CCleaner)
>
> Andy

He said that it happens on the first plot every time he starts Octave. He has
tried both the 4.0.0 installer from the website and the 4.0.1 RC build that was
linked from the maintainers list.

I have my weekly meeting with him tomorrow, so we will try a couple of things
to get more information that might help to attach to the various bug reports.
Unfortunately, I probably don’t have time right now to get a build environment
set up for Windows so that we could do some profiling, but even if we could
isolate it to whether it happens when he creates a figure without a plot, or if
it happens when the plotting actually occurs the first time, that might help.

John S.