Announcing package releases

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Announcing package releases
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:34:14 +0000

Hi everyone

I have been making the announcements for Octave Forge packages after
their releases.  I never much liked this because I always felt like
I was stealing the spotlight from the package maintainer.

I can't remember exactly the rationale on why I started doing it.  I think
the reason was to avoid maintainers from announcing as soon as they uploaded
to the tracker (instead of waiting for the review and uploaded to the
actual downloads server).

This is not so much work on my side, the release process is pretty much
automated, I only need to manually checking the tarballs.  However, it
would give credit where it is due (I do mention the name of the maintainer
but my experience is that people don't read them),  and allow maintainers to
adjust the text of the release with more specific details, warnings,
bigger news, etc...

So I'll remind package maintainers that they can announce the package
release once I've pushed it to the octave forge downloads site.

Carnë