Line length for code?

From: Rik
Subject: Line length for code?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:19:51 -0800

1/23/16

jwe,

In changeset 21133:31674b9d202b, "NEWS: Refill text to 72 columns", a
documentation file was wrapped to 72 rather than 80 characters.  In
appendix C of the manual on "Tips and Standards" we have "Format the
documentation string so that it fits within an 80-column screen."  I don't
think we need to worry about people using terminals that only display 75
characters anymore.  Even 80 characters is not really an issue anymore.

At any rate, I've had my editor set to wrap code lines at 80 characters for
years now so there is a lot of the code base that is wrapped to that length
rather than 72.

--Rik