Re: Expected behaviour of dbtype

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Expected behaviour of dbtype
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:36:56 +0000

On 23/02/16 14:16, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 02/23/2016 08:35 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:
Hello,

The help for dbtype states:

"When called with no arguments in debugging mode, display the script
file currently being debugged."

 From this I expected that dbtype would print the function currently
stopped in the stack. So for instance, if I'm stopped in a function foo
which is called by a function bar, and I navigate up to bar by doing
dbup, I would have expected that dbtype would now print out bar.
However, as far as I can tell, it still prints out foo no matter where I
navigate too.

Is this the expected behaviour of dbtype, or a bug?

Sounds like a bug to me but I don't know what Matlab does.

jwe

Matlab's dbtype doesn't work in the same way, you must supply the function name. It only supports the following syntax:

    dbtype FILESPEC
    dbtype FILESPEC RANGE

So it's really your choice on how you want it work in Octave in the debugging case. Octave's feature for printing out lines from the current file you're debugging is a nice improvement over Matlab, but it would be even more useful if it printed out the function you've actually navigated to in the function stack. I've only actually tried this when stopped at an error so I don't know if the behaviour is different if stopped at a break point.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.