Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 09:48:14 +0000

On 1 March 2016 at 09:21, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 01:05, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you please move the following to their own hg repos:
>>  * bim
>>  * fpl
>>  * generate_latex
>>  * msh
>

>>  * ocs
> for ocs I would rather use GIT as it's main repo has already been moved to a
> separate
> server, so we can keep the two in sync.

But if you have already converted it to git what is there for me convert?
Did you convert its history or just created a new one?  Where is it?

>>  * ode
> is this any different from odepkg?

It is a different package with same functions, but seems to have a
completely different history.

This ode package is also GPL and was developed until mid 2006.  During summer
of 2006, someone created odepkg.  Comparing the code in odepkg and ode at that
point in time they seem to be completely unrelated although they both
implement ode23, ode45, and ode78.  Soon after, ode was marked as deprecated
but I don't know why.  The only note says:

    This package is superceded by main/odepkg.

Is there anyone around that was an Octave Forge developer in 2006 and is
able to explain this?  And why didn't odepkg simply replaced ode.  I always
though that the "pkg" part on "odepkg" was very odd.

Still, this ode package implements a few functions that do not appear in
odepkg.  Maybe there's something of interest there?  You can see it online:

    http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/trunk/octave-forge/extra/ode/

>>  * secs1d
>>  * secs2d
>>  * secs3d
> would it be possible to make one single repo for these 3 packages?

Sure.  I will do so.  Should I name it "secs"?