Re: GSoC ode15s

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: GSoC ode15s
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:27:35 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Chiara Segala wrote:

Dear Richard,

thank you so much for the advice.

I'm documenting about the project ode15s and I am increasingly interested in it.
I looked at the Matlab documentation of the method, and now I am reading

"The Matlab Ode Suite", Shampine, Reichelt

and

"Solving Index-1 DAEs in Matlab and Simulink", Shampine, Reichelt, Kierzenka

I'm also giving a look at the book

“Solving Ordinary Differential Equations II, Stiff and Differential-Algebraic
Problems” Hairer, Ernst, Wanner, Gerhard.

Being a math student, I would love to implement the method, then I would prefer
an m-file implementation.

Dear Chiara,

yesterday Carlo and I gave a closer look to the two papers referenced in Matlab ode15s documentation. We found out that they only briefly and roughly describe the algorithm and they refer to quite old papers and solvers for the details. For instance, they quote DIFSUB, DDRIV2, LSODE, VODE. We believe it is quite hard for a student (or even for me) to implement alone and from scratch such a complex function.

Since you would like to implement (also) the behind numerical algorithm, is there any other function in the Matlab suite, currently missing in Octave, you would like to take care of? Or any other method for differential equations?

Cheers,

Marco