Re: behavior of save

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: behavior of save
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 19:36:38 -0700

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 00:40:57 +0100, julian wrote:
> I'm using save to move data from octave to another languages.

I'd recommend using dlmwrite, csvwrite, fprintf, or other ways of
writing Octave variables to text files.

> I use this:
>
> > save -ascii var var
>
> So it saves var in a file named var in plain text. Sometimes, octave
> separates the numbers with " \n", and sometimes does it with " ". What
> does this depend on? There is a way to force octave to use one of this
> options?

Probably vector orientation, as Doug suggested.

The point is that it's Octave own format, intended mainly for use with
Octave's load function. If you can manage to read it with another
program, you are welcome to do so, but I think that's a mistake.

Take a look at the functions in Simple File I/O and C-Style I/O
Functions.

--
mike