Re: pipes in Octave on Windows? (was: Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-r

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: pipes in Octave on Windows? (was: Re: optim, struct, parallel: pre-release check on Windows?)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 09:48:15 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:11:01 +0900, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> Olaf Till:
> > Cygwin does have 'pipe()', doesn't it?
>
> Yes, it has.

Yes, the Octave binary installer is not the same as Octave on Cygwin.

> Thus execution of the same test on octave on Cygwin-x64 gives:
>
> >> res = pararrayfun (4, @ (x) x, 1:15)
> parcellfun: 15/15 jobs done
> res =
>
>     1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9   10   11   12   13   14   15
>
> as expected.
>
> Cygwin supports almost all posix functions and then
> almost all octave-forge packages work on octave on the Cygwin [1].
> (However, perhaps Macro do a lot of job for octave-forge on Cygwin.)

Thanks for verifying that.

> At least MinGW and msvc9 do not support "pipe" function.
> Octave for windows is built using MinGW compiler so that
> some treatments are required to use "pipe" function.
> I refer gnulib implementation of "pipe" [2], [3].

Yes, gnulib has a pipe function that we could start using for the
Windows builds. Any volunteers want to test it? I can provide an Octave
source tarball with the pipe function replacement enabled to drop into
your mxe-octave build if you don't know how to do that part.

--
mike