Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 project idea - implementation of ode15s
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 04:54:08 +0000

On 8 Mar 2016, at 11:47, Carlo De Falco <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 8 Mar 2016, at 09:46, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> yes, you are right it is a non trivial project, but you should consider
>>> that the
>>> library we proposed to use as a backend already implements exactly the same
>>> algorithm as
>>> ode15s.

>>> sundials has all that and even more, there is no need to reuse code just
>>> write a good interface.
>>> that said, I admit it is definitely not a trivial task to add yet another
>>> external dependency
>>> library to core...
>>>
>>> there will be a lot of difficulties with stuff such as writing DLD_FUNs,
>>> using mercurial, making
>>> autotools tests, etc.
>>>
>>> would you like / have time to contribute to mentoring this part of the
>>> work, if we find a good student?
>>>

>> Yes I'm willing to help with the 'boilerplate' work, I am familiar with
>> autotools, mercurial, building Octave and have had a few patches accepted to
>> Octave core. I'm very motivated to get ode15s implemented in Octave.
>>
>> I'll be much more useful in fact if most of the actual numerical
>> implementation already exists and the project is mostly just making this
>> accessible in Octave. Sounds like you know jwe would be fine with the
>> dependencies. One thing I haven't done in the past is DLD_FUNs, since I
>> usually go with mex for Matlab compatibility, but happy to learn about this
>> too.
>>
>> Richard
>

> Great! Your help will be extremely welcome.
> I'll add you as one of the mentors on the wiki page and send you an
> invitation from the google system.
> Thanks,
> c.

Hi,

Can you please try to fill in the ranking of project proposals
in the sheet prepared by Nir here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nf7yHO7-S-BJlr9ntqkZUQVIas4_WZC954RRT8yqAH0/edit?usp=sharing

the selection must be fnalized by 1PM UTC today, we we have 7 viable proposals
and 5 slots (+ probably one more in SoCiS).

c.