Re: Incorrect version of libtool executable under Linux Mint

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Incorrect version of libtool executable under Linux Mint
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 13:27:10 -0500

On 05/02/2016 01:04 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:57:32 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
I've just switched to Linux Mint.  I've run into a problem immediately after
what looks like proper configuration.  When building, I see

cd libgnu; make all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
make all-recursive
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
CC areadlink-with-size.lo
../libtool: line 2096: ../../octave/libgnu/areadlink-with-size.c: Permission
denied
gcc: error: : No such file or directory
gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

I think that the problem here may be that ../libtool is being used (the one
constructed by "configure"), rather than /usr/bin/libtool.

Is it possible you did not run bootstrap or had a partially built
directory when you started building on your new distribution?

Running ./bootstrap should run libtoolize --force, which should
overwrite any libtool-generated files.

But I haven't seen this error so I don't know what the cause is.

This is for empty build tree directories. I didn't realize libtool is tied in with bootstrap, though. I'm doing the bootstrap, but perhaps I need to do a maintainer's clean or download the repository from scratch. Cloning... bootstrap... configure... make... All right, well that seems to fix things. Thanks Mike.

My guess is that something from a previous "bootstrap" on a different system remained. I've always thought of bootstrap as being system independent though. I did a diff between the files in the base directory of last night's octave and the clone I just downloaded. They are the same. The only thing different is a file

-rw-r--r-- 1 sebald sebald 5619 May  2 13:14 oct-conf-post.in.h

Guess it isn't that important.

Dan