Re: Documentation failing to build because of geometryimages in FLTK (wa

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Documentation failing to build because of geometryimages in FLTK (was Re: the nvidia/osmesa dilema)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 18:38:31 -0500

On 05/04/2016 06:03 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

HOWEVER, Octave hasn't crashed.  So I hit up-arrow to rerun the command.

geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
save to 'octave-workspace' complete
Segmentation fault

Actually, I repeat this experiment and the drawing pattern is not quite
the same as the first time I saw it.  This time I see the same, proper
image redrawn be this type in a 2.0 or 3.0 magnification scale so that
it isn't completely visible within the window.

Can someone repeat this?  This seems like a graphics toolkit code type
of bug.  What bug report, new or existing, should I start from?

Hold on, that isn't quite correct. It looks like multiple toolkits are crashing under the same circumstances:

 >> graphics_toolkit('fltk')
 >> graphics_toolkit
 ans = fltk
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
error: __osmesa_print__: Depth and stencil doesn't match, are you sure you are using OSMesa >= 9.0?
 error: called from
     __opengl_print__ at line 172 column 7
     print at line 498 column 14
     geometryimages at line 71 column 5
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
error: __osmesa_print__: Depth and stencil doesn't match, are you sure you are using OSMesa >= 9.0?
 error: called from
     __opengl_print__ at line 172 column 7
     print at line 498 column 14
     geometryimages at line 71 column 5

Yes, the follow-up geometryimages command in FLTK does not crash the system, just gives an error. (I thought it was FLTK that is the default toolkit these days.) The EPS image from above sequence looks correct.

It's Qt graphics toolkit that crashes on followup geometryimages commands but here too the EPS generated on the first pass looks fine:

 >> graphics_toolkit('qt')
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
 panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
 attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
 save to 'octave-workspace' complete
 Segmentation fault

And for gnuplot graphics toolkit:

 >> graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');
 >> geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'griddata', 'eps');

and the EPS file looks fine, but on follow-up geometry commands the graphical window no longer appears. And I should note on the first geometryiamges command gnuplot doesn't do the multiple draws as random scaling factors. Just the one proper image at the correct scaling.

I guess this seems more like some bug in the Octave graphics code exercised by this geometryimages() routine. I don't know why the multiple redraws at this point.

Dan