Re: Need test of patch for OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Need test of patch for OS X
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 21:55:35 -0400

On May 10, 2016, at 8:33 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 10, 2016, at 10:15 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 10, 2016, at 7:48 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 9, 2016, at 11:00 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 9, 2016, at 10:38 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

On 05/09/2016 10:27 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

test ov-java.cc
***** testif HAVE_JAVA
assert (javaObject ("java.lang.Short", 40000).doubleValue < 0);
!!!!! test failed
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries/libjvm.dylib: failed to load: dlopen(/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries/libjvm.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries/libjvm.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Hmm.  Well, there was a comment in the code that using the octave_shlib method of loading the jvm had problems, but I'm suspicious about that. Surely there is a way to dynamically load the jvm into Octave.  We do it with .oct files, so why not the jvm?

Since the message is about it being the wrong architecture, maybe that isn't the correct file?  Are there other libjvm libraries on your system?

jwe

I don’t think so, but the libjvm I have is from 2014 … and looks to be out of date. I’ve downloaded and installed the jre and sdk for Java Version 8 Update 91. I’ll need to modify my configure script to use the new version. I’ll report back tomorrow.

Ben

Ok. Not so easy. Octave is crashing and I’m getting an error indicating I need legacy Java SE 6 runtime.

Ben

<error_dialogs.png>

As a quick sanity check, I tried using Sebastian’s octave_insaller script, which uses Hombrew to build octave.

I haven’t look into the details, but the Java tests pass.

Ben

<tests.txt>

John,

I neglected to mention that results attached in my earlier reply were run on Octave 4.01, without your patch.

I’m working on getting Java to work with my Fink build. I’ll let you know the results with the patch as soon as I’m able.

Ben

Ok, good news! I removed all Java installs and reinstalled Java from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

Now, with your patch applied, the tests pass.

PASSES 6 out of 6 tests
PASSES 6 out of 6 tests
PASSES 6 out of 6 tests

Ben