Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave for OS X (was: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite)
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 17:55:41 -0400

Switching to the maintainers list

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 7:09 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 3, 2016, at 1:46 AM, Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Mike Miller-4 wrote
>>> This reads to me like you are both suggesting that this homebrew-based
>>> binary installer could become an official installer for any OS X user,
>>> is that right?
>>
>> Yes. We somehow need to take of the dependencies and it seems a clever
>> choice to to this via a package manager. There are three possibilities for
>> the Mac Fink, Macports and homebrew. We chose because a couple of reasons,
>> mainly because of "social reasons", i.e, the homebrew community is very open
>> and super responsive.
>>

>> Mike Miller-4 wrote
>>> If yes, then can someone please update the primary OS X wiki page to
>>> make the binary downloader be immediately visible and primary on that
>>> page? I think visitors to the page
>>>
>>> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X
>
> I’ve made some changes yesterday and more today. Essentially I elevated the
> bundle info from the bottom of the page to the top and added links to the
> downloads, as suggested. Please take a look.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Installing_a_Mac_OS_X_Bundle
>
> Ben

The link to the beta installer is getting too much traffic for DropBox.

        Error (429)

        This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been
temporarily disabled!

Perhaps it is time for a more appropriate host. What is needed to add a “mac”
directory to ftp.gnu.org.gnu/octave?

        https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/mac

And how are uploads managed?

Ben