Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:48:58 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Julien Bect
> To: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2016/6/22, Wed 18:26
> Subject: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just wanted to share my disappointment: I just realized that, because of the
> introduction of C++11 features, the "parallel" package cannot be
> installed on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> (DISCLAIMER : I don't personally use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, the problem happened
> for a colleague that has to use it.)
>
> The reason is that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has gcc 4.6.3, which only has a limited
> support for C++11 features (and apparently not the ones needed by the
> parallel
> package, I have bypassed the configure check and can confirm than compilation
> indeed fails).
>
> I wouldn't call Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a *very* old release.  It is certainly old
> in some sense, but Ubuntu 12.04 LTS was release only four years ago, Ubuntu
> 12.04.5 two years ago, and this distribution hasn't reached its "end of
> life" date...
>
> I haven't tested, but the same can be said of Debian Wheezy (7.0), which was
> released in 2013 and will reach its LTS end of life in May 2018.  Wheezy has
> gcc
> 4.7, with a better but still incomplete support of C++11...
>
> I have seen messages in the mailing list suggesting that more and more C++11
> feature are starting to be used in Octave itself...
>
> Does anyone know what is currently the oldest version of gcc that can compile
> octave stable ? default ?
>
> Wouldn't it be a reasonable policy to refrain from using C++11 features that
> are unsupported in versions of gcc that are still "in production" ?
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> @++
> Julien
>

> address@hidden: please don't take it personally, the parallel package is just
> the
> one that triggered theses thoughts this morning ;-)

I previously used lubuntu 12.04 and now that PC is not used now.
At that time I have installed gcc-4.8 for Ubuntu 12.04 and used octave build.
(The osmesa was built from source [2].)
I forgotten reason why I decided to use gcc-4.8 instead of gcc-4.6.

At the configure
cd build

CC='gcc-4.8' \
CXX='g++-4.8' \
F77='gfortran-4.8' \
../configure (proper options)

I was anxious that libraries on repo. were built gcc 4.6 but octave were built
gcc 4.8.
However, I had not met troubles as far as I had used.

Tatsuro

[1]
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/08/install-gcc-4-8-via-ppa-in-ubuntu-12-04-13-04/
(Unlike the above instruction I kept gcc 4.6 as default compilier. )

[2] http://wiki.octave.org/OSMesa
(options were slightly arranged for success build)

Tatsuro