Re: Octave build in Windows 10

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave build in Windows 10
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 07:52:25 +0900 (JST)

> From: Mike Miller

> To: PhilipNienhuis
> Cc: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2016/7/6, Wed 04:26
> Subject: Re: Octave build in Windows 10
>
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 08:59:28 -0700, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>>  Sasitha Iresh wrote
>>  > Greeting all,
>>  >
>>  > I'm trying to build octave on windows(already done in ubuntu
> 14.04)
>>  > but i can't get it done. I tried using code blocks and Microsoft
>>  > Visual Studio.
>>  >
>>  > Can you help with it.
>>
>>  I'm afraid we can't.
>>  Windows builds are made using mxe-octave and usually cross-compiled on
> Linux
>>  hosts.
>>  mxe-octave can be used natively on Windows as well, but the last attempt by
>>  someone must have been over a year ago. Or even longer.
>>  In addition, mxe-octave currently uses the mingw tool chain. MSVC once
>>  worked but its maintainer hasn't shown for quite while.
>>  If this isn't enough, building natively (on Windows) takes about 5-8
> times
>>  as long as cross-building on Linux.
>>
>>  Not all good news :-)
>>
>>  If you have Ubuntu, why don't you just cross-build Octave just like all
>>  developers of Octave for Windows do?
>
> Also it would help us help you if you could explain exactly what your
> goal is.
>
> If your goal is to be able to build Octave on Windows using Visual
> Studio, then Philip is right, we can't help very much, but we can wish
> you good luck! And if you do get it working, please share your results!
>
> If your goal is to be able to run Octave on Windows, please try one of
> the pre-built installers or build it yourself using mxe-octave as Philip
> also suggested.
>
> Once upon a time there were people interested in keeping Octave
> compatible with Visual C++, but there don't appear to be any with time
> and interest now.

Octave can be built on windows using octave binary itself with help from the
msys2
See
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-build-on-windows-using-octave-binary-itself-td4676652.html

Note that this can be done completely on mingw tool-chains.

In some occasion, one can use dll files from mingw that are built by msvc
and one can use dll files from msvc that are built by mingw.

I do not know that the above is possible on current octave for windows (mingw
build).

Tatsuro