Re: update gnulib?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: update gnulib?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 13:27:34 -0700

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 13:09:40 -0700, Rik wrote:
> Mike,
>
> We try to update gnulib ahead of each release.  Did your last cset
>
> changeset:   22068:88b3c6932236
> bookmark:    @
> tag:         tip
> user:        Mike Miller <address@hidden>
> date:        Thu Jul 07 12:15:46 2016 -0700
> summary:     maint: use an absolute url for gnulib subrepo, rename back to
> gnulib
>
> do that implicitly?  If not, we might as well do it now.

No, the gnulib revision has not been updated in this changeset. This is
meant to be a transparent change to most users. The main thing you'll
notice is a brand new copy of gnulib when you update, and you will
definitely need to run bootstrap.

The procedure to update gnulib now should be mostly the same as before,
aside from the directory name change, and slightly simpler:

  cd gnulib
  hg pull default
  hg update ## -r xyz or default or whatever
  cd ..
  ## test
  hg commit -m "maint: update gnulib subrepo."
  hg push default -r .

I think you used to have to "hg pull http://hg.octave.org/gnulib"; to get
new revisions. Now this is just "default", and should work effectively
the same as before.

The primary benefit here is now users can much more easily publish
distributed clones of Octave on their own hg host or a hosted service
like Bitbucket, potentially use CI services, etc.

And as before, you can always run

  ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib

to use a completely different copy of the gnulib library.

--
mike