Getting gprof or oprof to work on recent versions of Octave (was Re: Que

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Getting gprof or oprof to work on recent versions of Octave (was Re: Question)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:22:01 +0200

Le 08/07/2016 à 07:49, LachlanA a écrit :
* Figure out how to profile the executable.  This may be by figuring out
what settings oprofile needs, by forming a cut-down version of Octave that
gprof can work with, or if necessary putting explicit timing code in
frequently-called functions.

Yes, figuring out how to profile Octave would be a first step towards trying to reduce the runtime on simple examples such as those used in the Julia benchmark.

This has been discussed a few times on the mailing list, and it didn't seem easy back then. Here are a few relevant nabble threads:

-----

June 2014 : me asking for help to build static version of Octave instrumented with gprof ; no one answered
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/For-loop-benchmarks-between-Octave-versions-tp4664522p4665042.html
(I am giving a link to the end of the discussion where gprof is mentioned, but the whole thread is about performance and the Julia benchmark)

May 2013 : Daniel Kraft asked for advice about using gprof ; Jordi said that he had never managed to get gprof to work with Octave ; suggests oprof instead
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Profiling-C-code-in-oct-files-tp4652745.html

March 2013 : Júlio Hoffimann managed to get OProfile working (but not gprof) ; nobody answered on the mailing list
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Profiling-GNU-Octave-tp4650637.html

February 2009 : apparently, building a static version of Octave was necessary at the time to get gprof to work
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/profiling-Octave-td1634535.html

-----

These discussions are rather old. And I could find anything more on the wiki.

Did I miss something ? Does anyone have working recipes to use gprof or oprof on recent versions of Octave ?

@++
Julien