Re: GSoC '16 - Boolean Operations on Polygons : Merge Code to geometry P

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: GSoC '16 - Boolean Operations on Polygons : Merge Code to geometry Package
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 05:19:10 -0700 (PDT)

amr mohamed wrote
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to start contacting the Geometry package's maintainer so that
> we can decide how the code will be merged during the next days.
> I implemented some functions as cc files and the package currently has
> only .m functions.
> So, I will try to structure the src directory as in the image package
> (https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/image/ci/default/tree/src/).
>
> The functions make use of the Boost library (>=1.60) so my Mentor told me
> that we will need to make a dependency for this version of Boost instead
> of adding the boost-geometry library as a part of the package.
> However, If i were the user, i won't know how should i download the
> required version of Boost library and make octave's function use it.

(mapping package maintainer here, just a quick note as I'm on vacation with
patchy Internet access until somewhere next week.)
Thanks for this work, a welcome contribution IMO.
Once it is included in the geometry package the mapping package will make
use of it as well, several functions for that are almost finished. See a.o.,
savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9000 for some developments along that line.

I have a few questions, mainly because I missed all progress on this GSOC
project as I somehow missed blogs and progress reports -might be my own
fault :-).

1. Is the entire boost library required or just a subset? Last time I looked
boost comprised some 105 MB of a maze of include files, of which only a
fairly small subset is required for boolean ops on polygons.

2. Did you implement interpolation of Z-values on clipped polygon sides?
That is something I discussed with John Swensen; it would be a useful asset
for the mapping package as -unlike its Matlab counterpart- many of its
polygon functions accept polygons with Z-values and 3D polygons.

3. Similarly did you implement drawing polygons with holes using e.g., the
polytri library? also something that came up in discussions with John S.

4. Where is your code currently hosted?

Philip