Re: Updated octave_plot_compare

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Updated octave_plot_compare
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 07:50:32 +0900 (JST)

> From: Andreas Weber

> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA Octave Maintainers
> Date: 2016/8/20, Sat 19:10
> Subject: Re: Updated octave_plot_compare
>
> Am 20.08.2016 um 11:17 schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:
>
>>  http://wiki.octave.org/Plot_comparison
>>
>>  In the above, gnuplot version 4.6.
>>  However, the current octave supports gnuplot 5.0.
>>  (The latest is 5.0.4).
>>  The gnuplot behavior is drastically changed from 5.0.
>>
>>  Which version gnuplot do you use, 4.6 or 5.0?
>>  If you use gnuplot 4.6, please consider to use gnuplot 5.0.4.
>
> Sorry Tatsuro, I posted the wrong link. The updated version is
> http://josoansi.de/octave_plot_compare/compare_plot_demos_01.html
> Which has all relevant data in the header.
>
> Generated on 20-Aug-2016 10:06:20 by html_compare_plot_demos with GNU
> Octave 4.1.0+ hg id 2e49ab3d6b48+
> gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 6
> Matlab R2016a with software OpenGL rendering
> Host: Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 (jessie)

Thanks for updated link.

> For your question because 4.6 vs 5.0: Do we drop support for 4.6 in the
> next release or is the goal to support both? I'm running debian stable
> which currently ships gnuplot 4.6.

I only use ubuntu and lububtu for linux distribution.

I have installed lubuntu 16.04 to a PC. Default gnuplot version is 4.6.6.
And it also have gnuplot5 packages and their version is 5.0.3.

However, ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is still used by many people, does not have
gnuplot 5.0 in official repo. nor ppa.

So I think that we cannot drop support for gnuplot 4.6.

> If we want to support 4.6 AND 5.0, should I create the page with both?

It depends on the results.
If there are some remarkable differences between plots generated
respective versions, it is better to represent them.

BTW, how do yo generate png files on gnuplot graphics_toolkit.
If you use -dpng, please also try -dpngcairo.

I have some other questions but I will post by another mail.

Tatsuro