Re: Updated octave_plot_compare

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Updated octave_plot_compare
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:29:14 +0900 (JST)

>From: edmund ronald
>To: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
>Cc: Tatsuro MATSUOKA ; Octave Maintainers
>Date: 2016/8/22, Mon 04:55
>Subject: Re: Updated octave_plot_compare
>

>On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> From: Andreas Weber

>>>I only use ubuntu and lububtu for linux distribution.
>>>
>>>I have installed lubuntu 16.04 to a PC. Default gnuplot version is 4.6.6.
>>>And it also have gnuplot5 packages and their version is 5.0.3.
>>>
>>>However, ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is still used by many people, does not have
>>>gnuplot 5.0 in official repo. nor ppa.
>>>
>>>So I think that we cannot drop support for gnuplot 4.6.
>>>

>>​If this distribution did not get around to update to a newer version
>>of gnuplot I am pretty sure they would not update update octave either.
>>People who would want to compile their own new version of octave can as
>>well compile a newer version of gnuplot (and install it in some special
>>location
>>if they want to keep the old version).
>>So I think we should keep 5.x version of gnuplot as a requirement for the
>>upcoming octave 4.2 release.​
>>​....​
>>
>>>Tatsuro
>>​Dmitri.
>>--
>>​
>

>Dimitri,
>

> If you don't want to support LTS releases you should say so explicitly to the
>Ubuntu maintainers, I believe.
> I have quite a few Mac VM users of Trusty Tahr Ubuntu LTS who are using my
>script to download Octave from the "stable" ppa. Now that I have read your
>position on this I will migrate to a newer version, but of course migration
>snowballs into non-regression testing. Which is precisely what LTS releases
>are designed to minimise. As for your position that "users" should compile
>Octave or Gnuplot, please understand that it is not shared by all of this
>list, or at least not shared by some of the idiots on this list.
>

>Edmund

Edmund (and Dmitri)

The topic for gnuplot is not original scope of Andy's post.
I made another thread titled

Is gnuplot version 5 requirements for octave 4.2?

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Is-gnuplot-version-5-requirements-for-octave-4-2-td4679366.html

Please discuss there.
I will transfer your post there.

Tatsuro