Re: naming scheme for the GSL package

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: naming scheme for the GSL package
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 08:27:32 +0200

Le 14/10/2016 à 00:57, ederag a écrit :
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 22:55:00 Julien Bect wrote:
In fact, the "gsl_sf_" prefix is removed.  For instance :
"gsl_sf_clausen" is made available as "clausen".

I see two difficulties with this naming scheme :

a) Name conflicts.  Some GSL functions names would coincide with Octave
function names.  This problem has been solved in earlier release of the
GSL package by adding a "_gsl" suffix, but this makes the naming scheme
inconsistent.

b) Short names.  Some function names become very short and look like
variable names.  For instance, "gsl_sf_eta" becomes "eta", "gsl_sf_Si"
becomes "Si"...  I am not comfortable with such short names.

I propose to keep full GSL names to solve both problems.

Any opinions ?

@++
Julien
Agreed, full GSL names would be much better.

Thanks ederag.  Any other opinion ?