Result of vote for scope of OF

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Result of vote for scope of OF
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:45:02 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 01:51:28PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> 1. Simply maintain a list of packages, hosted elsewhere.
>
> 2. Continue to execercise some central control onto contained
>    packages, making the package maintainers potentially bound to some
>    majority- or admin-decisions.
>
> For 2., two subvariants have been proposed:
>
> 2.1. In addition to the controled packages, maintain a list of
>      independent packages, checked only for some formal structural
>      conformance, which are primarily hosted elsewhere. OF contains
>      'copies' of the external repositories, synchronized at least at
>      release time. The package maintainer has exclusive control, if OF
>      decides to fork the package, a different package name must be
>      used.
>
> 2.2. Only the controled packages are contained in OF.

One week is not quite full, but given the time course of voting I
don't think something decisive will still happen, so here is a
summary.

10 OF package maintainers voted.

- All preferred 2. over 1..

- 2.1.: 5 votes.

- 2.2.: 3 votes*

- 2 votes were not clear in choosing 2.1. or 2.2.**

*: Of these, 1 voter meant preliminarily choosing 2.1..

**: Of these, 1 voter tended rather to 2.1 in later discussion.

The discussion brought up good arguments for different choices, and
suggested further details.

But the overall result of voting was quite clear, in favour of 2.1.,
and still clearer if footnotes * and ** are considered.

I think the future project admin(s) should regard this vote as
binding, as long as it is not superseded by another. The vote
implicates maintaining copies of external repositories.

Thank you for taking the time to vote.

Olaf