Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: Re: OF: proposal for reviewing packages
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:13:55 +0100

On 29/01/2017 21:28, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
Carnë Draug wrote
On 12 January 2017 at 20:26, Colin Macdonald <

address@hidden

> wrote:
I've been somewhat following the various threads.  Here is a small
suggestion to help with workload of the "team of admins" being discussed:

Currently we package maintainers upload a tarball (and a doc tarball). We
then wait for "team of admins" (nee Carnë) to process.

Instead, we could first require that *another* package maintainer needs
"sign-off".  This person would ensure the package installs, tests pass on
their machine, code is up-to-date on sourceforge, maintainers Makefile
functions correctly, or whatever else seems appropriate (e.g., a
checklist
on the wiki).

For example:

  1. I submit a ticket for a new Symbolic release.
  2. Oliver (say) reviews that ticket and gives it a "+1".
  3. "team of admins" can release it.

Oliver is motivated to do this review because when he wants to release
Interval, others (esp. me) will be motivated to review it.  Thus an
additional benefit is that we newcomer OF maintainers become more
familiar/involved with each others' packages, thus improving the OF
community.

This has always been the case, the releases are open for anyone to
review.  It just happens that very few developers actually do it
(Marco Atzeri is probably the person who does it more often).  I am
not sure if you need to do anything to get notifications from
sourceforge about pending releases.  I don't remember having to do
anything to get the notifications.

FWIW, I only ever got notifications for the tickets I uploaded there myself.
So some form of subscription might be required.

Philip

the page
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/?source=navbar#

allows subscription, see mail icon.
Validation before release is useful to test packages on platform
that the maintainer can not check, like cygwin for me.

Regards
Marco