Re: GSoC 2017- Symbolic Package

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017- Symbolic Package
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 16:09:32 -0800

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 02:46:12 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am NVS Abhilash, and I am interested in completing the Symbolic Package
> project[1] for GSoC 2017.
> I have already contributed something to OctSympy[2].
> I just need some directions so that I can prepare for the project, in the
> context of GSoC.

Sounds good.

Can I ask about your earlier interest in the logm/funm project? Did you
explore that option at all, look at work that has been done so far, or
talk to potential mentors on that project?

What led you to change your focus from what seemed like your strong
interest in the logm/funm project to the symbolic project?

Have you spent any more time developing the categorical array functions
or working on some example scripts demonstrating how the categorical
type works and why it would be beneficial to be included in Octave?

> I need to know:
> 1. Can I do a mini-project, which will help me understand more about the
> communication between Octsympy and Pytave? If so, can someone suggest me
> one?
> 2. I have a basic knowledge of C++, Octave, and Python. But I don't have any
> mastery of these. Can anyone give me a rough idea about what all higher
> concepts are needed as prerequisites for this project?

An interesting idea might be to make a new datatype in Octave that is
based on pytave's pyobject. This could be similar to the @sym data type
in octsympy, or could be a completely new type, like an XML parser or a
redis interface or something, just as an exploration of the types of
concepts useful for this project.

--
mike