buildbot test failures

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: buildbot test failures
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:06:34 -0400

I recently made some changes so that buildbot builds report success only if the number of failed tests is exactly 0. You can see here

  buildbot.octave.org:8010

that we currently aren't doing so well.

On the system that runs the following builders

  gcc-fedora
  gcc-lto-fedora
  clang-fedora

some tests fail because of a current fedora bug in osmesa. I suppose I could (temporarily) disable osmesa on those systems to eliminate the failures.

On the system that runs the following builders

  gcc-6-debian
  clang-3.9-debian

8 tests are failing because there is no audio device. I could skip those tests if there were a way to check whether audio devices are available, but I'm not sure how to do that. Currently, audiodevinfo throws an error if there is no audio device. Would it be OK to change that so it simply returns an empty structure? For my purposes that would make checking easier, but I'm not sure whether it will cause other trouble.

The clang-osx build fails because of a problem with integer typedefs that I reported here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50510

The gcc-6-lto-debian build fails because of a mysterious problem saving and loading signed 32-bit integers to HDF5 files.

And finally, the mxe-native-on-debian build is failing because the of-database package configure script is failing with the following message:

  checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no
  configure: error: unable to find the PQconnectdb() function in pq

but I think that's just a missing package problem on my build system, so I'll fix that and try again.

I'd like to eliminate these failures in some way so that we can expect to see all builds regularly succeeding. If failures are rare, then I think we can be more sure that regressions are noticed soon after they happen.

Comments, suggestions, and help are all welcome.

Thanks,