Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GSoC 2017 - Implement boolean operations on polygons
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:30:49 -0700

On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:53 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

I have been trying the Boost version by Amr for some time, using Amr's unofficial geometry-3.0.0 version from github and the mapping package (also an unofficial version, but I'm the mapping pkg maintainer :-) ).
AFAICS it does work fine, reliably and fast.
Also the poly2fv function is very useful for graphical output.

If nothing else. I think that the poly2fv function (depends on the poly2tri library) and Amr’s implementation of all the tests from [1] and [2]. This makes it much easier to go ahead and compare implementations of various .oct files that implement polygon clipping/boolean operations.

For example, I just found a much more recent algorithm with a C++ interface [3] that claims to handle holes, self intersections, coincident edges, and coincident points well. This might be worth making a quick .oct file for to see how well it handles things.

John S.

[1] http://rogue-modron.blogspot.com/2011/04/polygon-clipping-wrapper-benchmark.html
[2] http://www.angusj.com/delphi/clipper.php
[3] http://www4.ujaen.es/~fmartin/bool_op.html