Re: Octave development daily snapshot service

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave development daily snapshot service
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 13:32:07 -0700

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 11:36:11 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> I tried the command you listed on Fedora 25 and it works (downloaded a pile
> of stuff, 5 Gib in /var/lib/docker, maybe normal when run on non-Ubuntu
> systems).

That's typical, even when the host OS is identical to the container OS.

> 1.  Doctest pkg: "pkg install -forge doctest" just worked!
>
> 2.  Symbolic pkg: I did "apt-get install python-pip", then "pip install
> sympy", then started octave and "pkg install -forge symbolic".   Works for
> me.

Excellent.

>     2.a.  Is it worth including "pip" in the container?  (21 MiB)

I'd rather keep the non-Octave parts of the container to a minimum.

Docker is built on layers, a new container can be derived from another
one by composition and the lower shared layers are reused. So you can
write a Dockerfile that derives from mtmiller/octave-snapshot, installs
python-pip and some more packages, and use that locally or publish it.

> 3.  Might be helpful to Docker noobs (me) to add a link your short
> instructions enable X11 from (to?) the container.

Easier said than done, but I'll see if I can simplify that. I initially
see no value to running the GUI for my purposes, but maybe.

> 4.  Is the host reasonably protected from root on the container?  I.e.,
> safe-ish to run Octave as root?

IMHO it's safe enough from doing something accidental to your host OS.
It may not be completely safe from some malicious code. There's a bunch
to read about at https://docs.docker.com/engine/security/security/.

You can easily run as any unprivileged user by using the -u option, e.g.

    docker run -it -u 1234:1234 mtmiller/octave-snapshot octave

or

    docker run -it -u nobody mtmiller/octave-snapshot octave

--
mike