Re: [OF] mapping package

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [OF] mapping package
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 13:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

JuanPi wrote
> Hi,
>
> I just bumped into m_map [1], you might already knew it.
>
> It is not libre (no license and stupid header) but maybe the author,
> if contacted is willing to release it under a proper libre license.

Thanks JuanPi, I know that package, I've tried it a while but there were
various things in it I found impractical and it had several limitations I
couldn't work around. IIRC it used to be on Matlab Central as well. From
what I know it isn't maintained anymore.
Another link to it is  here
<http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/it/UNIX/unix-apps/matlab/map.html>  , don't
know if the package is up-to-date there.

As to projections (a major missing part of the mapping pkg that is partly
present in m_map), Felipe G. Nievinsky has his geodesy package that could be
linked to from the OF mapping package, I've been trying that but gave up due
to lack of time; an issue is that it has no documentation to speak of. See
patch #8377 <https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8377>

FYI, I'm slowly tackling an OF package maintenance backlog due to very busy
months at work. First I need to work on the io package, mapping is next.
Yet I've hit several issues cross-building the windows binaries ( I use &
test Octave & OF packages on Windows for my daily work), bisecting takes
ages because the build system (Linux) is different than the install system
(Windows).

Philip