Re: any impacts of adding this line to default .octaverc ?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: any impacts of adding this line to default .octaverc ?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:50:45 -0400

> A simple try-catch around the "pkg rebuild" line could serve as a band-aid.

so something like:

if (exist(pkg("global_list"),"file") == 0)
  try
    pkg rebuild;
  catch
  end_try_catch
endif

would take care of it? the point just being to avoid a nagging error on startup.  I did notice that whenever I do a pkg rebuild I get four "skipping line" messages, and that will come up every time if the case you mentioned occurs. Didn't see a 'quiet' option in pkg help.

I guess the only other problem would be if someone made manual changes to octave_packages that would be overwritten by a 'pkg rebuild'.