Re: Some questions on the interval package

From: Joel Dahne
Subject: Re: Some questions on the interval package
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:58:59 +0000

Oliver Heimlich writes:

>>> It is indeed a bit complicated. I doesn't work for Octave version 4.2.1,
>>> which uses __compactformat__ for this. I have attached a patch that
>>> fixes it for me. But please double check that it works for you as well.
>>
>> Thanks for the patch.  I'll make a private utility function from it.
>
> Ok, done.  However, during my tests in Octave 3.8.2 I have found out
> that “get (0, "FormatSpacing")” is broken and always returns "loose".
>
> - In Octave < 4.0 there is no way to query that information correctly.
> - In Octave 4.0.x we have __compactformat__ and get (0, "FormatSpacing")
> - In Octave 4.2.x we have only __compactformat__
> - In Octave > 4.3.x we have only [~, spacing] = format ()

But it at least works for < 4.0? It does not crash?

> Looking through the other BISTs on Octave 3.8.2 (see attachement), I
> observe:
>
> - several warnings because of automatic broadcasting (these warning are
> disabled in Octave >= 4.0.0 by default)

Most likely I'm the cause for some of these. I have never tested if for
< 4.0.

> - errors in the postpad and prepad functions

Why would that be? It doesn't really use any odd functions.

> - a failing test for disp (see above)
>
> Also, I can't use the doctest package on the manual anymore, because of
> missing SKIP_IF expression support and the latest doctest package has a
> dependency on Octave 4.0.0.

It's though when your method for detecting the version does not work on
some versions...

> I guess it's time to drop support for Octave < 4.0.0 in the interval
> package.

You are probably right. How much are these used? I believe Ubuntu 14.04
uses 3.8.1 or something similar. Even if we formally drop support of it
most things will sort of work at least and we get much less to test
against.

Best,
Joel