Re: pending optiminterp-0.3.5 release

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: pending optiminterp-0.3.5 release
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:51:31 +0200

On 14.08.2017 21:33, Olaf Till wrote:
> (I'd like to have the technical discussions at the mailing list, not
> at the release forum.)
>
> Alexander,
>
> installing the new tarball segfaults for me, both with Octave-4.0 and
> Octave-4.2. The segfault happens at the loading of optimiterp.oct.
>
> Attached is the upper part of the backtrace with Octave-4.2. Compiler
> warnings with -Wall were:
>
> optimal_interpolation.F90: In function ‘mod_bessel_k1’:
> optimal_interpolation.F90:151:0: warning: control reaches end of non-void
> function [-Wreturn-type]
>          return
>  ^
>
> but I can't say if these warnings are related to the segfault.
>
> The cause of the segfault must be that something is wrong with the
> initialization of global variables. Since these seem to be defined in
> Fortran code, I can't try to inspect the code to find the cause. But
> the fact that the segfault didn't occur at your machine indicates that
> the reason is undefined order of initialization: If the initialization
> of any global variable accesses another global variable, this should
> possibly be coded differently (in C this would have to be coded with
> static variables in functions).

I can't confirm this problem on my computer.  I do not see warnings
during installation.  I can load optiminterp in Octave and run the
example_optiminterp function without errors.

I am not familiar with Fortran.  Could this be a compiler problem?  I am
testing on Debian Jessie with GCC 4.9.2.

Oliver