Re: Page titles in generate_package_html

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Page titles in generate_package_html
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 15:28:00 +0200

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:00:52PM +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> generate_package_html contains several (four, actually) parts that look like
> this:
>

> title = getopt ("overview_title",  vpars);
> footer = getopt ("overview_footer", vpars);
>
> fprintf (fid, "%s\n", header);
> fprintf (fid, "<h2 class=\"tbdesc\">%s</h2>\n\n", desc.name);
>

> It seems to me that the "title" variable which is defined here is not used
> at all.
>
> Shouldn't we use this variable instead of hard coding the content of <h2>
> </h2> ?

This <h2> content happens not to be the same as that of the <title>
tag, for which the configurable information corresponding to "title"
is currently used (indirectly, within the "header" information). I'd
not like to change the <title> tag, since it may be used by search
engines. And currently neither I see a reason to change the <h2>
content. So, since they are not the same, we can't use "title" for the
<h2> content. Instead, the "title" variable can be deleted as
unused. If you see a reason for the <h2> content to be configurable,
we could introduce an additional configuration variable.

> Also, shouldn't we use an <h1> tag instead of <h2>, since this is the
> highest title level of the page ?

I don't know. It probably would require some re-organizing of the CSS
as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a strong reason for this,
currently.

Olaf