Re: Employment News

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Employment News
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 13:24:36 -0500

On 09/15/2017 03:26 PM, Rik wrote:
On 09/14/2017 01:40 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Employment News: I joined ESI Group
From:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Date:
09/14/2017 12:06 PM

To:
Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
CC:
address@hidden

7bit
Message:
2

As of last week, I have joined ESI Group (https://www.esi-group.com).
ESI is a leading innovator in virtual prototyping software and
services and has also managed the development of Scilab since February
2017.

This is an exciting opportunity for me.  I remain focused on improving
Octave and making it an excellent platform for numerical computations.
With ESI I will continue doing general development, supporting
customer's needs, and exploring ways for Octave and Scilab to benefit
one another.

If you would like to know more about ESI's involvement with Scilab,
you can read the announcement of that acquisition here:

https://www.scilab.org/community/news/ESI-Scilab

Congratulations, they seem like an interesting, progressive company.

What is the extent to which you will be able to work on Octave? Is it full-time working on the core and addressing specific feature requests? Is it more like Google where you will have a day a week to devote to your own interests? Or is it a regular programming job, but nights and weekends are your own time?

Best regards,
Rik

jwe

Not speaking for JWE, but let's assume weekends. Internal responsibilities grow with time is typical as a company becomes more dependent on an employee.

Right now summer activity is winding down and there have been a lot of new bugs to deal with. Maybe it would be a good idea to think over the winter about how to organize the project, understand what parts are stable, what parts aren't, redesign some things that have been a bottleneck, how to more effectively incorporate patches on Savannah so they don't die on the vine for lack of resources, etc.

Dan