Re: New package

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: New package
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:46:13 -0700

On 2017-09-25 02:43 PM, Felix Aparicio Perez wrote:
if there is some simple way to make an Octave package work in Matlab (a package like mine, that only has m-file scripts and that has been designed to work with both Matlab and Octave). Perhaps you have some suggestions and/or know of some people who have managed to distribute their work for both Octave and Matlab in some way that I have not thought of.

Hi Felix,

I think quite a few Octave packages support Matlab as well (this came up in a recent thread on this maillist, with a focus on writing Matlab-compatible code).

Regarding the Symbolic package and the Doctest package, I use a Makefile (the "Maintainers Makefile", due to Oliver Heimlich and others). This generates the .tar.gz file for Octave Forge and another .zip file for Matlab. Some special processing is done for Matlab (converting texinfo docs and extracting tests).

I'm not very good with Makefiles but I feel this effort was worth it: it means other Octave devs can reproduce my .tar.gz files and decreases the "bus factor". It also means I have less "magic steps" to remember/follow when I do a new release.

Colin