Re: mxe-octave status

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 11:46:29 +0200

PrasannaKumar Muralidharan wrote:

On 22-Oct-2017 2:39 AM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 10/21/2017 04:58 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

        Results with a --disable-system-opengl32 mxe-octave build:

        I can confirm the crash on a PC with older Intel card (with the
        default Windows opengl32.dll) when removing / renaming the
        Octave-supplied (mesa-)opengl32.dll. Octave works fine there
        with the mesa-openg32.dll

    OK, thanks for testing.

    I think we now have a good way to provide OpenGL based graphics when
    the OpenGL implementation provided by the system causes trouble.
    Getting LLVM to build for Windows so we can have the llvmpipe
    renderer will improve performance, but at least it works now.

I am wondering whether angle library can be used in windows. Angle
library translates opengl calls to directx calls. Qt and Chromium are
prominent users of angle.

Yeah I read about angle as it was mentioned in one of the links I reported in my earlier posts in this thread. Someone will have to dive into it; it'll introduce yet additional dependencies while the windows installer is already so big. And maybe there are license issues? As regards GPL, DirectX/Direct3D is a "system library" I suppose. But we'd have to avoid the proprietary SDK stuff.

Anyway a good idea to keep angle in mind, thanks.

P.