Re: matlab namespace

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: matlab namespace
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:17:38 +0000

On 20/11/17 15:06, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 20 November 2017 at 10:29, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
On 26/10/17 08:32, Richard Crozier wrote:

Dear List,

Matlab are gradually introducing the use of namespaces, with a base
namespace of 'matlab', e.g. matlab.lang.makeValidName is replacing
genvarname.

My question is, how is Octave planning to deal with this? This is
important for writing portable code, for instance I already have tests in my
code for whether an object is of class 'matlab.graphics.axis.Axes' (for
checking input).

Will Octave use 'matlab', or replace 'matlab' with 'octave'? Or some other
solution?

Regards,

Richard

No thoughts on the above at all?

Richard

Actually, I just came across a similar issue last week.  A colleague
was trying to run Matlab code in Octave that made use of the
matlab.mixin.heterogeneous class [1]

Maybe it's possible to import an entire namespace into another so we
could import matlab.* into the octave namespace?

Carnë

[1]
https://uk.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/matlab.mixin.heterogeneous-class.html

I was thinking maybe something you could put in your .octaverc like

alias_namespace ('octave', 'matlab');

that makes 'matlab' or whatever, an alias of 'octave'.

I don't know if there's any copyright issues with using matlab, but this would also sidestep them, since users could put what they like here.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.