Re: [octave-forge] bioinfo package (previous reasons to set it to unmain

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [octave-forge] bioinfo package (previous reasons to set it to unmaintained?)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 20:57:31 +0000

On 14 December 2017 at 20:03, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:23:15PM +0100, Alois Schloegl wrote:
>> Dear octave maintainers,
>>
>> the bioinfo package is currently unmaintained [1]. Nevertheless, i've
>> added the functions fastaread, fastqread and graphtraverse in the
>> repository, and I'd like to prepare a new release (v0.2.0).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Alois
>
> Again, nice to produce a release of this. Some remarks are at the tracker:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/322/
>

> Does anybody remember if there was a specific reason to set this
> package to unmaintained, except the long time without commits? The
> last commit before Alois' was 2013, but AFAICS the package should
> still have worked more or less...

No specific reason other than having no maintainer.  I had contacted
Bill Denney in 2011, the list package maintainer, who requested to be
removed has maintainer.

Marking bioinfo as unmaintained was proposed in 2014 [1] and no one
spoke against that one.  Also, the last commit may had been in 2013
but the last release had been in 2009.

Carnë

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2014-01/msg00177.html