Re: bioinfo package - maintenance of ...

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: bioinfo package - maintenance of ...
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:04:32 +0100

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 09:44:17PM +0100, Alois Schloegl wrote:
> Dear Octave maintainers,
>

> for several years, the bioinfo package does not have maintainer, I've
> been adding three functions, and would like to maintain that package.
>
> However, it is important to me, that this code can be used under matlab
> as well, which means coding style that would work only in Octave but not
> in Matlab would be a problem, and I could not contribute. Essentially,
> I'd need to find or start another repository for maintaining these
> functions.
>
> Therefore, I'm asking whether it would be ok with you, if I take the
> role of a maintainer for the bioinfo package.
>

> Best regards,
>   Alois

FTR, after pointing out that the existing functions of this package
comply with Octave coding style, the following had been my
(unanswered) reply to this request at

https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/package-releases/322/ :

I understand the need for running code both in Octave and in
Matlab. But if the code is to be maintained in collaboration, it can't
be kept in a style which deviates from the standard style of the
collaborating group.

I understand, too, that this removes your motivation to maintain the
code within the bioinfo package. But still, if you are willing to
contribute your new code as it is, GPL3+ licensed, this would be
nice. You could do it at the patch tracker. Since the bioinfo package
is currently comparatively simply structured, others (even me) could
take the task of adapting your code to Octave style. And since making
a bioinfo release is currently also comparatively simple, I can
probably do it myself once I get a hint that it's suitable to make a
new one.

Could you accept this compromise? If yes, do you give me leave to
adapt your current new code and to make a release?

BTW, there are some style elements which can be adhered to without
abolishing Matlab compatibility, as our rules for spaces. It would
help if you adhered to these, at least.

Olaf