Re: Buildbot Progress

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Buildbot Progress
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:42:36 -0800

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 15:10:45 -0800, Rik wrote:
> On 01/10/2018 01:39 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> > I thought Mike Miller addressed this particular problem, but I could not
> > find the thread / bug report.
> > ..
> > Should we just fix a seed for rand() in this test?
>
> We could do that, but that would be our option of last resort.  Can we
> figure out which test is failing first and understand why it is failing?

Reported but not fixed.

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51779

I believe Rik's last comment summarizes the possibilities, but we have
not decided what to do. Previous versions of Octave did promote the
operands to double and demote the result back to single.

This may not have been intentional. But in the future we may want to do
this more universally. There have been other bug reports, not related to
bsxfun, but about whether operations in general should be performed in
single or double precision.

--
mike