Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project

From: Darshan kadu
Subject: Re: FSF spring internship applicant looking for a GNU project
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:36:11 +0530

Hello,

I have build the Octave on my machine.

I would like to start work on this project -->  http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector

But this project is for GSoC'18, so is it fine if I start working on it,
as my work will complete some tasks that to be done in GSoC project.

--Darshan

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:21 AM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/31/2018 08:48 AM, Darshan kadu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for replying.
As Edmund mentioned I can work on the project which won't require the strong mathematical background.

Rik's suggestion of the project seems suitable to me.  I have knowledge of C++ (also STL). And the project topic will not require specializes knowledge of mathematics.

Indeed I might require help to work on the project.

I will be working with some definite rules like giving the 7 days or 15-day report, maintaining the blog, etc depending on the convenience.

I would like to work on GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if I have the permission.

The first bit of this project, cleaning up the Variable Editor, is in progress or has already been completed by Octave founder John W. Eaton.  The first step in the project, however, remains the same which is to review the Variable Editor as an example of the interface that we want to build.  I've updated the description of the project to reflect the new reality.

I will also put out this call for programmers who are familiar with the Qt toolkit and/or GUI in Octave to sign up as a mentor on the wiki at GUI_Variable_Editor_and_Property_Inspector if they have the time and temperament.

--Rik

I will be working 30- 40 hrs/week regularly but more on the weekends (I do have an academic session going on).  It would be great if someone mentors me for this project.

Again Thank you.
--Darshan