Re: Build

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Build
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 07:25:32 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: SUDHIR KUMAR SUMAN
>To: octave-maintainers
>Date: 2018/3/19, Mon 06:14
>Subject: Build
>

>Can anyone please explain what is building of octave.How it works. Is it just
>like executing any program?  I am trying very hard but facing too much
>difficulty in understanding it.
>What is your purpose?

Suspecting from your mail so far, you are using Ubuntu. Right.
If you want to only use octave, pre-built octave 4.2.1 is available.

The below will help you

https://www.scivision.co/compiling-octave-4-on-ubuntu/

If you want use octave-4.2.2 or try development version,
you have to build yourself.

Build process of octave is not octave specific but is universal to Unixy
software.

./bootstrap # preparing configure script and other setup.

            # On official source package,this process is not required.

./configure # detect system condition (i.e. detecting platform, build system,
libraries,)

            #   and make Makefile S and other tools)
            # final output, config.log is very important when build is wrong.)
make # compile and link program and dynamic link libraries, document
make check # execute test
sudo make install # install program

Tatsuro